Thursday, January 20, 2011

Eowyn Update 27: Training and More

Well as you already know it's been a while since our last update .. Everything is going by so fast now and with Caleb working and going to school time feels nonexistent. So I'm going to try and update you on everything that has happend in the last few days .. First, we started training on Monday (17th), it went really good they really just forcused on showing us how to clean around the Trach area, changing the neck ties and how to clean the old Trach so it can be reused. Second, she got her G-Tube put in on Tuesday and we took that day off of training so she would have some time to rest .. She was upset and a little in pain when I saw her but she is doing great now and it's so nice to finally be able to see her whole face, with no tubes no wires no tape. Third, we got to put our knowledge to the test, on Wednesday we had to do everything we watch the RT do on Monday ourselves .. We worked together and got her all cleaned up and looking nice, we also watched the RT put in an entirely new Trach because that was part of our lesson and Finally today we got to do the whole thing ourselves, so Caleb washed her down and changed all her dressings for the Trach and I got to up a brand new Trach into her airway .. Then tomorrow we get to switch roles, I'll do the cleaning and Caleb gets to put in a brand new Trach. After the Trach care is covered we move on to ventilated settings and how to operate her vent. Speaking of vent settings she did have a little change on her settings, her rate is down to 10 and pressure is now at 4 .. They tell me these are really low vent settings, the oxygen is still at 35% but oxygen is a treatment for hypertension so she will most likely be on oxygen much longer then she will need a vent. She also got a swallow test done today, since she got her sucking reflex back they wanted to see if she would take a bottle and they wanted to make sure that when she sucked it wasn't going into her lungs. The study was done at 1:30pm and she past with flying colors .. Not only did she pass but they said she was the fastest study they had ever had lol .. But they did starv her for 4 hours to do the study so she sucked down the formula like it was going out of style. So now she is sleeping and I have to get going so I'm back in time to take CJ to wrestling. They also increased her feeds and are now giving her 45 cc's over a 2 hour window and then turning the feeds off for 1 hour and then repeating the process. Hopefully, with the doctors consent I will be able to feed her myself out of a bottle soon .. I can't wait!! Thank you everyone for your prayers .. Oh we also got the home evaluation done on Tuesday and everything seems to be in order, there are a few things we have to get and one of them, moving the water heater, will have to done before she can come home so we will be doing a fundraiser soon to help with the cost of all these changes that have to take place .. Ok so I really do have to go now but thank you all very much for keeping us in your prayers .. I'm so happy to be able to give you good updates, Praise God for all the wonderful and positive changes that ar e happening!

1 comment:

  1. That's all so great to hear, I'm so glad to hear things are going as well as they are and that you guys are finally preparing to bring your sweet baby girl home. I know there is much to be done still, but my heart has been warmed over and over again with the past few updates in seeing these wonderful milestones... things that we ordinarily take for granted - holding or feeding our children, even something as simple as "seeing their whole face." I know this whole mess has been a nightmare for you in many ways, and a complete blessing in others. I can't say enough that I admire the faith and grace with which you have handled all of this, and your updates have been a frequent reminder for me to just slow down and appreciate the little things in my own life each day, for which I am very grateful. I'm so glad God brought you into my life so many years ago, you have been a blessing in my life in more ways than you know, and Eowyn will always hold a special place in my heart as well. Know that we love and miss you guys and continue to pray. Thanks for the update, I've been looking forward to hearing how things have been going this week! :)

    ReplyDelete