Friday, January 28, 2011
Eowyn Update 30: Back To Peds ICU~Eowyns Heart Stopped!!
Yesterday Eowyn had a really bad day . Caleb and I got there at 9am to do our training and shortly after the baby stared to de-sat. She went down to 76% and they had to bag her .. this has been happening more and more over the last week but yesterday was the worse by far. After bagging her for several minutes and calling a code on which made every doctor, nurse and RT on the floor come to her bedside, they finally got her stats up and she was stable. I was playing with her after, trying to make her smile and the doctors decided to change her from her home vent to the hospital vent for a short time because the hospital vent delivers better pressure, so Caleb and I went down to the cafeteria to get a drink and a bite to eat and as we came back in the room they had just switched her vent over and decided to suction her because she sounded like she had secretions in her lungs .. well to say the least she was not happy about that and started to de-sat again. They went and hooked her up to the bag and stated breathing for her but she had clamped down so bad that none of the oxygen was getting to her lungs .. When she got down to 54% saturation they called code blue on her again and the whole floor rushed into her room. The doctor took over bagging and the lung specialist started listening to her chest and trying to figure out why she wasn't coming back up. Caleb and I kind of got pushed outside of her room and as we stood there outside her room we watched as our baby went from having a heart beat to not having one .. The doctor started chest compressions and the other doctor continued bagging. They filled her with multiple medications and had her on a lot of IV's .. After about 5 minutes of this Eowyns heart beat came back and they rushed her over to the ICU. After being in the ICU she de-sated again a few more times and they had to put her back on Dopamine, Morphine, Versed, Milrinone, 2 different saline bags, Immune Boosters, 2 different blood transfusions, 3 different antibiotics and they have her medically paralyzed .. They did an x-ray after the first de-sat spell and then another after she got transferred to the ICU and it showed a dramatic difference, her lungs are completely cloudy and they are saying she has some type of Pneumonia, it may be viral (which they can't treat or cure) or it's bacterial (which they have her on medication for). They did an entire panel of test on her and we will know more about those in a day or two .. They also did another ECO on her heart and it showed that the pressure in her right ventricle has tripled from the last one she got on the 20th, it was in the 50's and it's now in the 150's. That explains why her HR is so high .. We left the hospital at 10pm last night and she was stable and her saturation was 100%. I got a call around 3:20am from Hannah (Eowyns Nurse) and she informed me that they were going to switch the baby over to a different vent, it's called an Oscillator (I think) and the difference is that this vent delivers really short breaths and a lot of them .. It will breath 300BPM for her, the other vent does longer less frequent breaths and they think this new vent will be gentler on her lungs and help oxygenate them better .. The doctors switched her because her saturation was hanging out at 87% and nothing they did could bring it up .. Her blood gases looked great and her blood pressure was looking good too but for some reason her saturation was not going up so they decided that this would help her out the best and be a little easier on her body. I called the Nurse this morning around 8am and she told me Eowyn had not de-sated since being on the new vent .. Eowyn did go down to 91% once but went back up and has been in the mid 90's ever since, her blood gases still looked good and the blood pressure was great but the doctors thought that she should have time to just rest so they aren't going to wean her off of anything yet .. The only thing that went down a little was the oxygen and it went from 100% to 85% but they are keeping it there for a while till she has time to recover. So thats about everything that happened yesterday and this morning .. I Praise God she's doing better and that He gave the doctors wisdom to know what to do to bring her back when her heart stopped. Dr. Mirza said for most babies this is the ending factor and it's just to hard for their little bodies to fight any longer .. So for now we keep praying and see what God has in store for Eowyn and for this family. I know God doesn't give up more than we can handle, but I honestly don't think I can handle much more .. I have been stretched to far for to long. I am completely on empty!! Yet I keep pressing on, one step at a time .. I think at this point God is literally behind me with His hand on my back pushing me forward, there is nothing else that could keep me standing upright and moving forward. This has been longest season of my life and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel any longer .. I have no idea when or if she's even going to be coming home anymore.